The Benefits Of Olives, Figs And Honey
The Benefits Of Olives
As regards to the Olive tree, Allah says:
وَشَجَرَةً تَخْرُجُ مِنْ طُورِ سَيْنَاءَ تَنْبُتُ بِالدُّهْنِ وَصِبْغٍ لِلْآَكِلِينَ
“And We created the tree which grows on Mount Sinai: it gives oil and is used as food also by those who like to eat it..” (23:20)
The human body easily absorbs olives. This aids digestion, and so your body can handle food with ease. Imam Jalaaluddin as-Suyuti in his book, “Medicine of the Prophet” suggests drinking Olive oil so as to keep the bowels moving, soothing pains and combating constipation.
Olives are also very light foods (i.e. contain low calories), but at the same time very filling; being able to quickly satisfy hunger, and lead to fewer total calories ingested at mealtime.
Rasulullah (SAW) used to recommend olives and saffron in cases of pleurisy, and he used to say that olives are the medicine of the poor.
In another tradition Rasulullah (SAW) said: “Eat olive oil and anoint yourself with it” (Al-Tirmidhi)
Saied al-Ansari narrates that Rasulullah (SAW) said: “Eat the olive oil and massage it over your bodies since it is a blessed tree.” (Al-Tirmidhi)
Abu Hurairah (RA) narrates that Rasulullah (SAW) stated: “Eat the olive oil and apply it (locally), since there is cure for seventy diseases in it, one of them is Leprosy.”
Khalid Bin Sa’d narrate: “I came to Medina with Ghalib Bin Al Jabr. Ghalib became ill during the journey. Ibn Abi Atîq came to see him and told a narration from Aisha that the Prophet told about the cure in Kalonji. We crushed a few seeds of Kalonji and mixed it with olive oil and dropped in both nostrils, after which Ghalib became healthy.” (Bukhari)
According to ibn al-Qayyim, Olives are an exhilarant, they provide prevention against poisons, gives the facial complexion glow, regulates the digestive process, expels the intestinal parasites, makes the hair lustrous and minimizes ageing problems. He also comments that the massage of olive oil with common salt over the gums is a remedy for several diseases of gums and teeth.The chronic ulcers and boils, which show difficult healing condition, are healed up with the use of olive oil generally. The local application of olive oil or the water extracted from the crushed olive oil leaves is effective on boils, rashes and itching.
Imam Tirmidhi (in the Shama’il of at-Tirmidhi) mentions that it was reported that the Prophet used so much olive oil that his shawl was often saturated with it.
Benefits Of Olives:
1) Olive oil can also be used on hands, hair and as a base for massage oil.
2) Used as a balm, it fortifies the hair.
3) It keeps the hair shiny and prevents dandruff.
4) Used as a balm, it fortifies and moisturizes the skin, combating dry skin and softening it. It also combats against acne.
5) Massaged onto the body, Olives fortify the limbs, combat against inflammation, and sooth away aches and pains from tired muscles and so on.
6) Help against wrinkles and delaying the effects of old age.
7) Help combat against strokes, heart-disease, High blood pressure, diabetes.
8) It aids digestion and strengthens the bowels, as well as the stomach.
9) Soothes pain
10) Strengthens the body’s immune system
11) Drink, the tea from Olive leaves help against High blood pressure.
12) General consumption of Olives, due to their high anti-Oxidant properties, help to combat against diseases such as cancer (studies in particular show Breast cancer), asthma, arthritis, osteoporosis, and others.
The Benefits Of Figs:
Figs are thought to be originally from small Asia and are one of the first fruits cultivated ever. It is said that humans could live on Figs alone as a source of food such is the goodness and nutrition in the fruit!
Figs are a rich source of calcium, iron, magnesium, Vitamin B6, and potassium. Figs are low in fat and high in fiber. They provide more fiber than any other common fruit or vegetable.
Figs have many health benefits. Fresh and dry figs are high in pectin, a soluble fiber that can reduce blood cholesterol. The fruit is also believed to have a laxative effect and can aid those who suffer from chronic constipation.
Listed below are some common problems and illnesses and how they can be avoided by the use of figs:
2) Memory loss: Figs contain a lot of natural sugar – up to 60%. Sugar stimulates the brain so we can think faster and recall information more quickly. So that you can think more clear and faster. Figs are the ultimate brain fuel!
3) Fatigue: Fresh Figs contain up to 80% of water, as well as being one of the fruits with the highest levels of natural sugars. So they are a brilliant source of energy and stimulant for the brain. Making you more alert, responsive, fresh, as well as de-toxin the self.
4) Skin: Due to the Fig’s high water content, they are ideal for improving the skin. The skin requires a good level of water. This will clear the skin, act as a cleanser, and improve acne, oil, and general well-being.
5) Constipation: Figs are a natural laxative. So they can aid those suffering from constipation. They have a high level of fiber.
6) The heart: Due to the Fig’s high level of natural sugars, they are an excellent way to replace the bleached (white) sugars with a healthier alternative. They contain a natural fructose and glucose sugar. A high fiber diet is one of the best ways to improve cholesterol levels, and as a result aid oneself against heart related diseases Insha’Allah. The nutrient ‘tryptophan’ contained in Figs encourages good circulation, allowing blood to flow more easily around the body. Figs contain the ingredient Pectin (and soluble Fiber) which is known for its cholesterol lowering effects. Thus, Figs are beneficial for those of Old age, those suffering from High Blood-pressure, Diabetes, heart-disease, hyper-tension, and other such related illnesses.
7) Calcium: Figs are a source where much calcium could be obtained. This is also beneficial for those who are lactose intolerant (or even those who chose to be Vegans!).
Five figs provide about 250 mg of the daily recommended level of calcium.
8) Blood pressure: Figs are beneficial for those with heart-related diseases. Lowering cholesterol, they are advantageous for those with high blood pressure. Figs are a particularly good source of Potassium. Potassium is a mineral crucial to the control of blood pressure. People who eat potassium-rich foods tend to have lower blood pressure and, subsequently, have less risk of related conditions such as strokes.
10) Anemia: Figs contain Iron which enriches the blood, and helps to produce it. Thus, they are ideal for women, girls and those suffering from Anemia (lack of Iron).
11) Digestion: Five figs provide more than 20 percent of the daily recommended allowance of fiber. Hence, they are excellent in aiding digestion and improving the condition of the stomach and bowels.
12) Hemorrhoids (piles): Rasulullah (SAW) is recorded to have said to make use of Figs in order to curb Hemorrhoids.
13) Bones: Figs, with their high level of calcium are ideal for young growing children and for the development of bones. They are also invaluable for those suffering from Osteoporosis and brittle bones.
14) Weight control: Three figs, fresh or dried, contain about five grams of fiber. The soluble fiber contained in Figs can help people cut down on snacking because it causes nutrients to be absorbed more slowly, making people feel more satisfied after a meal. However, it should be remembered that Figs are high in calories.
Benefits of Honey:
Honey is one of nature’s oldest and most treasured sweeteners (even if it does take a little nerve to gather), so we’re never surprised when we hear about its benefits as a food source. It has occupied a prominent place in traditional medicines throughout world history. It is known that the ancient Egyptians, Assyrians, Chinese, Greeks and Romans employed honey for wounds and diseases. In ancient time, honey was seen as a symbol of wealth and happiness. It was associated with strength, beauty and longevity.
Today, honey is widely available in most communities but its medical potential remains grossly underutilized.
Nutritionally, honey is a healthy, easily digestible, natural and energy rich food. It contains carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, enzymes and vitamins. One tablespoon of honey provides 60 calories and contains 11g of carbohydrates, 1mg of calcium, 0.2mg of iron, 0.lmg of vitamin B and 1mg of vitamin C. Honey also contains glucose, fructose and saccharine (70%). Besides the above, copper, iodine, and zinc exist in it in small quantities.1) Easily digested: Because sugar molecules in honey can convert into other sugars (e.g. fructose to glucose), honey is easily digested by the most sensitive stomachs, despite its high acid content. It helps kidneys and intestines to function better.
2) Good source of antioxidants: It plays a big role in the prevention of cancer as well as heart disease.
3) Has a low calorie level: Another quality of honey is that, when it is compared with the same amount of sugar, it gives 40% less calories to the body. Although it gives great energy to the body, it does not add weight.
4) Rapidly diffuses through the blood: When accompanied by mild water, honey diffuses into the bloodstream in 7 minutes. Its free sugar molecules make the brain function better since the brain is the largest consumer of sugar, thus, reduces fatigue.
5) Supports blood formation: Honey provides an important part of the energy needed by the body for blood formation. In addition, it helps in cleansing the blood. It has some positive effects in regulating and facilitating blood circulation. It also functions as a protection against capillary problems and arteriosclerosis.
6) Does not accommodate bacteria: This bactericide (bacteria-killing) property of honey is named “the inhibition effect”. Experiments conducted on honey show that its bactericide properties increase twofold when diluted with water. It is very interesting to note that newly born bees in the colony are nourished with diluted honey by the bees responsible for their supervision – as if they know this feature of the honey.
7) Royal Jelly: Royal jelly is a substance produced by worker bees inside the beehive. Inside this nutritious substance are sugar, proteins, fats and many vitamins. It is used in problems caused by tissue deficiency or body frailty.