Time to add another carton of fruit juice to your shopping basket: it seems pomegranate is the new wonder drink for all-round good health benefits.
Here are eight reasons why pomegranate deserves a place in your diet:
1. It contains three times more antioxidants, glass for glass, than green tea.
2. Drinking it will boost your intake of vitamins C, E, and K, as well as potassium and calcium.
3. It contains folic acid, necessary to make red blood cells, and iron.
4. Drink pomegranate juice after a workout as it will speed up your recovery and reduce muscle aches. Research also indicates that it may prevent cartilage deterioration.
5. Pomegranates are thought to help protect you against cancer.
6. New research shows that it may also help to prevent cardiovascular disease, heart attacks and strokes, as it is understood to halt clogging in your arteries.
7. Studies have also shown that pomegranates can help to lower bad cholesterol and build good cholesterol.
8. As well as being a source of calcium, pomegranates may also help to prevent dental plaque forming on your teeth.
Looking for a pure pomegranate juice to help boost your health? Check the ingredients, and avoid pomegranate drinks with added sugars, juices, water and additives.