Pearls Of Wisdom Of Abu Ishaaq Ebrahim Ibni Ad’ ham
Abu Ishaaq Ebrahim Ibni Ad’ ham said to a man during the tawaaf: “Remember dear brother, you will never be counted among the righteous ones until you have crossed six bridges:
1) That you close the door of favours on yourself and open the door of hardship for yourself.
2) That you refrain from love of honour and prefer humility.
3) That you refrain from comfort and accept hardship.
4) That you discard love of sleep and enforce on yourself love of remaining awake – for Ibadah.
5) That you discard riches and prefer poverty.
6) That you disassociate yourself from hoping and prepare for death.”
Abu Ishaaq Ebrahim Ibni Ad’ ham was once passing through a bazaar in Basrah. It was said unto him: “O Abu Ishaaq, verily Allah has declared “Ask Me, I will grant you your request.” Why is it that we make du’aa and He does not accept?” Abu Ishaaq replied: “Surely it is because your hearts have become dead, due to ten things:
1) You have known who Allah is, yet you have not fulfilled His duties.
2) You have recited the Qur’an, yet you have not practiced upon it.
3) You have proclaimed the love of Rasulullah (SAW), yet you have not practiced upon his sunnah.
4) You have pronounced that the Shaytaan is your enemy, yet you have stood with him.
5) You have pronounced your desire for Jannah, yet you have done nothing to achieve it.
6) You have pronounced your fear for Jahannam, yet you have done nothing to escape it.
7) You have proclaimed that there surely is no escape from death, yet you do not prepare for it.
8) You have indulged in seeking the faults of others, and have left looking into your own faults.
9) You have enjoyed all the Blessings and Bounties of Allah, yet you do not give Him due praise for it.
10) You have buried your dead, but you have taken no admonition.
How then will your du’aa be accepted?”