Have We Ever Thought?
- Have we ever thought about the fact that we did not exist before we were conceived and then born into the world and that we have come into existence from mere nothingness?
- Have we ever thought about how the flowers we see in our living room everyday come out of pitch black, muddy soil with fragrant smells and are as colorful as they are?
- Have we ever thought about how mosquitoes, which irritatingly fly around us, move their wings so fast that we are unable to see them?
- Have we ever thought about how the peels of fruits such as bananas, watermelons, melons and oranges serve as wrappings of high quality, and how the fruits are packed in these wrappings so that they maintain their taste and fragrance?
- Have we ever thought about the possibility that while we are asleep a sudden earthquake could raze our home, our office, and our city to the ground and that in a few seconds we could lose everything of the world we possess?
- Have we ever thought of how our life passes away very quickly, and that we will grow old and become weak, and slowly lose our beauty, health and strength?
- Have we ever thought about how one day we will find the angels of death appointed by Allah before us and that we will then leave this world?
- Have we ever thought about why people are so attached to a world from which they will soon depart when what they basically need is to strive for the hereafter?
Man is a being whom Allah furnishes with the faculty of thought. Yet, we do not use this very important faculty as we should. In fact, some people almost never think. In truth, each person possesses a capacity for thought of which even he himself is unaware. Once man begins to use this capacity, facts he has not been able to realize until that very moment begin to be uncovered for him. The deeper he goes in reflection, the more his capacity to think improves and this is possible for everyone. One just has to realize that one needs to reflect and then to strive hard. Someone who does not think will remain totally distant from truths and lead his life in self-deception and error. As a result, he will not grasp the purpose of the creation of the world, and the reason for his existence on the earth. Yet, Allah has created everything with a purpose. Allah says:
وَمَا خَلَقۡنَا ٱلسَّمَـٰوَٲتِ وَٱلۡأَرۡضَ وَمَا بَيۡنَہُمَا لَـٰعِبِينَ (٣٨) مَا خَلَقۡنَـٰهُمَآ إِلَّا بِٱلۡحَقِّ وَلَـٰكِنَّ أَڪۡثَرَهُمۡ لَا يَعۡلَمُونَ (٣٩)
“We did not create the heavens and the earth and everything between them as a game. We did not create them except with truth but most of them do not know it.” (Surah Dukhan 44:38-39)
أَفَحَسِبۡتُمۡ أَنَّمَا خَلَقۡنَـٰكُمۡ عَبَثً۬ا وَأَنَّكُمۡ إِلَيۡنَا لَا تُرۡجَعُونَ
“Did you suppose that We created you for amusement and that you would not return to Us?” (Surah Mu’minun 23: 115)
Therefore, each person needs to ponder the purpose of creation, first as it concerns him himself, and then as it pertains to everything he sees in the universe and every event he experiences throughout his life. Someone who does not think, will understand the facts only after he dies, when he gives account before Allah, but then it will be too late. Allah says in the Qur’an that on the day of account, everybody will think and see the truth:
وَجِاْىٓءَ يَوۡمَٮِٕذِۭ بِجَهَنَّمَۚ يَوۡمَٮِٕذٍ۬ يَتَذَڪَّرُ ٱلۡإِنسَـٰنُ وَأَنَّىٰ لَهُ ٱلذِّكۡرَىٰ (٢٣) يَقُولُ يَـٰلَيۡتَنِى قَدَّمۡتُ لِحَيَاتِى (٢٤)
“That day Hell is produced, that day man will remember; but how will the remembrance help him? He will say, “Oh! If only I had prepared in advance for this life of mine!” (Surah Fajr 89: 23-24)
While Allah has given us a chance in the life of this world to reflect and derive conclusions from our reflections, to see the truth will bring us great gain in our life in the hereafter. For this reason, Allah has summoned all people, through His prophets and books, to reflect on their creation and on the creation of the universe:
أَوَلَمۡ يَتَفَكَّرُواْ فِىٓ أَنفُسِہِمۗ مَّا خَلَقَ ٱللَّهُ ٱلسَّمَـٰوَٲتِ وَٱلۡأَرۡضَ وَمَا بَيۡنَہُمَآ إِلَّا بِٱلۡحَقِّ وَأَجَلٍ۬ مُّسَمًّ۬ىۗ وَإِنَّ كَثِيرً۬ا مِّنَ ٱلنَّاسِ بِلِقَآىِٕ رَبِّهِمۡ لَكَـٰفِرُونَ
“Have they not reflected within themselves? Allah did not create the heavens and the earth and everything between them except with truth and for a fixed term. Yet many people reject the meeting with their Lord.” (Surah Rum 30: 8)