Wait a Minute Please…..
We hear this sentence repeatedly but did we ever contemplate the changes that take place in a single minute? 1 minute seems very trivial and a very short span of time, but on contemplation, one will realize what a human being can accomplish in just a minute:
- In 1 minute a person can walk a distance of two hundred yards, utter a hundred and fifty words, run four hundred yards, write forty words and read and understand more than three hundred words.
- In 1 minute a person can take in and release four hundred and ten cubic inches of air from his lungs.
- In 1 minute his heart pumps approximately five liters’ of blood into his blood vessels.
- In 1 minute the blood of a human body circulates in the entire body and returns to the heart.
- In 1 minute a healthy person’s heart beats about seventy two times.
- In 1 minute a person breathes in and out about eighteen times.
These are the changes that occur in a human body. If we look around us, we will be shocked to learn of the changes that take place in the world in just a minute.
- In 1 minute the earth revolves around its axis for a distance of nine hundred and fifty miles.
- In 1 minute one thousand four hundred cubic feet of rain falls on the earth.
- In 1 minute thirty five thousand tons of fresh water is released into the seas by the rivers.
- In 1 minute the world’s population is increased by one hundred and fourteen whilst it is decreased by one hundred.
- In 1 minute forty three marriages take place whilst three divorces take place.
- In 1 minute six hundred thousand cigarettes are smoked and one hundred and ten thousand newspapers are sold.
- In 1 minute two hundred and ten thousand telephone calls are made.
- In 1 minute mankind drinks sixty three thousand eight hundred gallons of water and consumes four thousand tons of food.
- In 1 minute three thousand three hundred tons of coal is mined.
- In 1 minute seven hundred tons of steel is produced.
- In 1 minute four thousand and six hundred shoes are manufactured and eighteen thousand cars are sold.
- In 1 minute six thousand luminous meteors fall to the earth and thirty eight whirlpools appear on the earth.
How astonishing! All this takes place in a mere span of sixty seconds for which we hold no value.
Rasulullah (SAW) said: “Avail yourself of five things before five:
- Your youth before your old-age.
- Your health before your illness.
- Your wealth before your poverty.
- Your free time before your occupation.
- Your life before your death.”
In another Hadith Rasulullah (SAW) said: “On the day of Judgment, one of the questions put to every person would be regarding his age (life) and how he utilized it.”