To Ponder…and Practice
Rasulullah (SAW) said: “An intelligent person is one who is constantly thinking about and preparing for death.”
How does one prepare for death?
- By seeking knowledge of Islam. So study about Allah, Rasulullah (SAW), good deeds and evil deeds. But knowledge itself is useless without…
- Practicing it. Perform good deeds, small or big, and avoid all evil deeds.
But all performance is useless unless we are…..
- Sincere (Ikhlas). To do lillahi ta’aala. But we will never achieve sincerity,
as long as we do not have….
- True Faith (Iman). We must:
* truly believe in Allah,
* truly be in awe of Allah,
* truly depend and ask only from Allah,
* truly hope from Allah,
* truly fear Allah,
* truly put your trust in Allah.
But such faith does not come from reading books or talking about Islam or listening to fiery speeches about Islam; it comes from…
- Striving hard in Allah’s path (Jihad). This does not mean going around trying to convert the world to Islam; it does not mean waving a sword at disbelievers showing them the ‘terror’ that Islam can inflict…
It means fighting hard to cleanse the evil in ourselves of:
* the jealousy,
* the greed,
* the stinginess,
* the arrogance,
* the pride,
* the laziness,
* the hatred,
* the lack of faith,
* the stupidity,
* the blindness of the heart,
* the backbiting,
* all the terrible sins that we do day after day, year after year, until death comes calling.
That is jihad. As we can see, this is a full time job that will take all our life to complete.
But we will never start to strive for all this, until we begin to….
* Realize that we will die soon.
* Realize that we will be shown all our deeds (good and bad) on Judgment Day.
* Realize that Allah watches us all our life, and that no deed escapes His repayment.
* Realize that money, fame and property cannot buy our way out of Hell.
* Realize that only Imaan and good deeds can.
* Realize that we live only once.
* Realize that we are responsible for ourselves.
* Realize that in the end, we are the one who will gain or lose.
So many people have realized, and have studied Islam, and yet have gone astray –
becoming terrorists, extremists, and fundamentalists. Why???
They have forgotten the most important thing in Islam. Which is that…….?
- Islam is about OURSELVES. Correcting OURSELVES. Cleansing OURSELVES.
Not about fighting with people or proving other people wrong.
- In the grave, WE will be asked about OURSELVES.
* What WE did.
* What WE said.
* What OUR intention was .
Then Allah will tell US, what OUR final destination is.
وَلاَ تَكُونُوا كَالَّذِينَ نَسُوا اللَّهَ فَأَنْسَاهُمْ أَنْفُسَهُمْ أُوْلَئِكَ هُمْ الْفَاسِقُونَ
“Do not be like those who forgot Allah and Allah caused them to forget their own selves. They indeed are the transgressors.” (Surah Hashr 59:19)
Have WE thought of OURSELVES lately? For every man who forgets about himself lands in Hell. Ponder…and practice.