Count Ourselves Before We Are Counted
Inshallah may we ask ourselves these simple yet important questions everyday, as we answer truthfully, may we improve ourselves.
- Have we prayed Fajr?
- Have we prayed all our Salaah?
- Did we read from the Book of Allah (Quran) today?
- Did we mention Allah and Glorify Him after each prayer?
- Did we read the extra prayers (Sunnah) before or after each salaah?
- Were we concentrating daily on our salaah by meditating on what we said in our salaah?
- Have we remembered Death and the grave today?
- Have we thought about the Day of Judgment and its overwhelming hardship?
- Have we asked Allah three times to permit us into Paradise? Because if we say: “Oh Allah, permit me into Paradise”- three times, the Paradise will reply: “Oh Allah, allow him/her to enter me.” (Tirmidhi)
- Have we asked Allah to protect us from the Hellfire today, three times? If we did the Hellfire will say: “Oh Allah, protect him/her from me.” (Tirmidhi)
- Did we read a Hadith about Rasulullah (SAW) today?
- Haven’t we thought about being away from those who are evil doers?
- Have we tried to avoid laughing and joking too much or too often?
- Did we thank Allah for bestowing on us the hearing, sight, good heart, and all the other gifts?
- Did we pay charity today to the poor and needy?
- Did we get angry for our own sake or for the sake of Allah?
- Did we avoid arrogance and self-admiration?
- Have we cried today out of the fearness of Allah?
- Did we mention Allah after Fajr or Isha prayer?
- Have we asked Allah to forgive us from the sins and transgressions that we have committed, by making (Astaghfirullah) seeking forgiveness from sins?
- Did we ask Allah to stabilize our heart and our religion?
- Did we take the opportunity to make dua (supplication) in the hours that Allah accepts them?
- Did we buy a new Islamic book for the sake of learning from it the knowledge of the religion?
- Did we seek forgiveness for the Believers, men and women, alive or dead, because if we did, Allah will reward us for each of them.
- Did we thank Allah for His Blessings on us, by making us Muslim and for the Blessings of Islam?
- Did we visit a brother or sister for the sake of Allah?
- Did we invite people to Allah, our family, our brothers, sisters, or neighbors, or those whom we have been in contact with?
- Were we kind to our parents today?
- Have we faced a problem and did we say:
وَإِنَّـا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعونَ
“Inna lellaahi wa innaa ilaihir raaje’oon” (By Allah we are created and to Him we shall return) ?
- Have we made dua by saying: “Oh Allah, I seek refuge in You, from the things I have committed wrongfully and knowingly. And I seek forgiveness for the things that I have committed without my knowledge.” Transliteration : “Allaahumma inni a’oodhu bika an ushrika bika wa ana a’lam wa astaghfiruka lima la a’lam.” If we say this, Allah will wipe off the big sins and the small sins.