The Black Seed: Habbatul Baraka (The Blessed Seed)
Rasulullah (SAW) said: “Use this black seed regularly, because it has cure for every disease except death.” (Al-Bukhari)
The Black Seed is known by the following names:
- Habbatul Baraka (the Blessed Seed)
- Black Cumin
- Black Caraway Seed
- Nigella Sativa
- Nutmeg flower
The Black seed has been used for centuries, by millions of people in Asia, Middle East, and Africa to promote health and fight disease, and is still known as one of all-time greatest source of natural medicines. The nutrients found in black seed are numerous; 15 Amino acid, proteins, carbohydrates, oils (both fixed and volatile), alkaloids, saponins, crude fibres and traces of minerals including; calcium, potassium, iron, and sodium. Besides its capacity to reduce inflammation, improve kidney functions, improve milk production in nursing mothers, strengthen the liver, and increase the body’s resistance against diseases, more recent benefits of the black seed includes its potential for the treatment of the bronchial asthma, bronchitis and other respiratory ailments, its capacity to lower excess blood pressure and improve the heart conditions and its antimicrobial activity against a host of alot of disease causing organisms like E.Coli and Staphylococcus etc. The actual Nigella sativa plant reproduces with itself and forms a fruit capsule which consists of many white trigonal seeds. Once the fruit capsule has matured, it opens up and the seeds contained within are exposed to the air, becoming black in color (black seeds).
In English, the Nigella sativa plant is commonly referred to as “Love in a Mist”. Black seed is effective at treating the body as a whole and fights the actual cause of the symptoms. Black seed regulates too weak or too strong reactions of the immune system and is excellent for treating chronic, allergic and hormonal diseases. It uses are many as well as its benefit. Black seed support metabolism, improve digestion, and lowers blood sugar levels. It is used to dispel worms and parasites from intestinal track. It is useful in soothing bronchitis and coughs, increase body tone, stimulates menstrual periods, increases the flow of breast milk, provides quick energy, increases sperm count, calms the nervous system, encourages hair growth and retards hair fall out, prevents skin wrinkling, and much more. Modern scientific studies have proven the immune enhancing effect of this blessed seed. It improves the natural defense and repair mechanisms of the body. It improves healing after surgery with less complications and faster recovery. It regulates blood pressure, enhances bile and breast milk production, and stimulates sperm producing tissue. It is also known to be an effective antimicrobial agent and broncho-dilator.
Here some common problems and ailments which can easily be cured from the use of Black Seed:
- General health: Take 1 tablespoon Blackseed oil morning and night, or at least in the morning before breakfast on its own or with 1 teaspoon pure honey.
- Acne and Skin: Mix and heat for 2 minutes 1 cup grounded black seed 1½ cup grounded pomegranate skin and 1½ cup apple cider vinegar. Apply on area before going to sleep every night until it disappears. Mixture can last 3 weeks and have to be kept in cool temperature.
- Baldness: Rub black seed oil on trouble spots.
- Asthma: Take 1½ teaspoon black seed boiled in water.
- Backache (lower): Mix honey with 1¼ teaspoon black seed and take it first thing in the morning before breakfast.
- Bee & Wasp stings: Take 1½ teaspoon black seed boiled in water.
- Bladder/Kidney: Take 1½ teaspoon black seed mixed with honey and warm water every morning before breakfast or. Mix 2 cups grounded black seed and 1½ cup pure honey. Take 1 tablespoon of mixture with 1 cup warm water every morning before breakfast. Mixture can last 15 days and have to be kept in cool temperature.
- Colds: Take 21 black seed, put it in a cloth and soak overnight. Use as droplets for the nose the next day. Inhale powdered black seed kept in cloth.
- Coughs: Take 3-4 drops of black seed oil in coffee or tea.
- High blood pressure: Mix 1 tablespoon grounded black seed, 1 tablespoon pure honey and a little garlic. Take the mixture before breakfast every morning for 20 days.
- Inflammation & pain of teeth & gums: Boil black seed in vinegar and use it to rinse teeth & gums Avoid using commercial toothpastes and use toothpaste made from vegetable fiber of the siwak tree which has been used for centuries by Indians, Africans and Asians as natural toothpaste.
- Memory: Take 1½ teaspoon powdered black seed mixed with honey 2x day.
- Immune system: Take 1 tablespoon day and night.
- Jaundice: Take black seed with milk.
- Chronic head pains (migraine, headache): Fry black seed and put it cotton-made cloth, tie or simply put the cloth on the forehead. Soak black seed in vinegar overnight, pound it the next day to make powder. Insert in nostril and inhale.
- Dry Skin: Mix honey with 1¼ teaspoon black seed and take it first thing in the morning before breakfast.
- Wind: Mix honey with أ‚آ¼ teaspoon black seed and take it first thing in the morning before breakfast.
- Worms: Take black seed with vinegar to get rid of worms.