“Please Wait A Minute”
We hear this sentence repeatedly but did we ever contemplate the changes that take place in a single minute? One minute seems very trivial and a very short span of time, but on contemplation, one will realize what a human being can accomplish in just a minute:
· In one minute a person can walk a distance of two hundred yards, utter a hundred and fifty words, run four hundred yards, write forty words and read and understand more than three hundred words.
· In one minute a person can take in and release four hundred and ten cubic inches of air from his lungs.
· In one minute his heart pumps approximately five liters of blood into his blood vessels.
· In one minute the blood of a human body circulates in the entire body and returns to the heart.
· In one minute a healthy person’s heart beats about seventy two times. In one minute a person breathes in and out about eighteen times. These are the changes that occur in a human body. If we look around us, we will be shocked to learn of the changes that take place in the world in just a minute.
· In one minute the earth revolves around its axis for a distance of nine hundred and fifty miles.
· In one minute one thousand four hundred cubic feet of rain falls on the earth.
· In one minute thirty five thousand tons of fresh water is released into the seas by the rivers.
· In one minute the world’s population is increased by one hundred and fourteen whilst it is decreased by one hundred.
· In one minute forty three marriages take place whilst three divorces take place.
· In one minute six hundred thousand cigarettes are smoked and one hundred and ten thousand newspapers are sold.
· In one minute two hundred and ten thousand telephone calls are made.
· In one minute mankind drinks sixty three thousand eight hundred gallons of water and consumes four thousand tons of food.
· In one minute three thousand three hundred tons of coal is mined.
· In one minute seven hundred tons of steel is produced.
· In one minute four thousand and six hundred shoes are manufactured and eighteen thousand cars are sold.
In one minute six thousand luminous meteors fall to the earth and thirty eight whirlpools appear on the earth.
How astonishing! All this takes place in a mere span of sixty seconds for which we hold no value.
Rasulullah (SAW) said: “Avail yourself of five things before five:
· Your youth before your old-age,
· your health before your illness, · your wealth before your poverty,
· your free time before your occupation
· and your life before your death.”
In another Hadith Rasulullah (SAW) said: “On the day of Judgment, one of the questions put to every person would be regarding his age (life) and how he utilized it.”