Advice From A Saint
On an occasion, somebody asked the great saint Ibrahim ibn Ad’ ham for advice. He said:
“If you accept six things, nothing you do will harm you. These six things are:
1) When you mean to commit a sin, do not eat the food Allah gives! Does it befit you to eat Allah’s food and to disobey Allah?
2) When you want to rebel against Allah, go out of Allah Domain! Does it befit you to be in Allah Domain and to be in rebellion against Allah?
3) When you want to disobey Allah, do not sin where Allah sees you! Sin where Allah does not see you! It simply is unbecoming to be in Allah Domain, to eat Allah food and then to sin where Allah sees you!
4) When the Angel of Death comes to take away your soul, ask him to wait till you repent! You cannot turn that angel back! Repent before he comes, while you are able, and you have the chance at this very hour, for the Angel of Death comes unexpectedly!
5) When the two angels Munkar and Nakeer come to question you in the grave turn them back! Do not let them test you!” “It is impossible,” said the person who asked for his advice. Shaikh Ibrahim said, “Then prepare your answers now!
6) On the Day of Resurrection, when Allahu orders: ‘Sinners, go to Hell!’ say that you will not!” The person said, “Nobody will listen to me,” and then repented, and he did not break his repentance till death. There is Divine Effect in the words of Awliya’.