Guidelines Of Umar (RA).
Sa’eed bin Musayyab (RA) reports that there were guidelines that Umar (RA) formulated for the people, every one which are replete with wisdom. Umar (RA) said:
* Always assume the best about your brother unless you learn something about him that you absolutely cannot reconcile.
* Never assume the worst about any statement that a Muslim makes as long as you are able to make a favorable interpretation.
* The person who exposes himself to slander must never rebuke anyone who holds a bad opinion of him.
* Ensure that you keep true friends to stay under their wings because they are a source of beauty during times of prosperity and a means of protection during times of hardship.
* Always speak the truth even if it may lead to your death.
* Never delve into matters that don’t concern you.
* Do not ask about matters that have not occurred because that which has already occurred is enough to preoccupy you from that which has not.
* Never seek your needs from one who doesn’t want to seek your success.
* Never treat false oaths lightly because Allah will then destroy you.
* Never keep company of the sinners to from their sinful ways.
* Keep away from your enemy.
* Beware even of your friends, except for the trustworthy one and none can be trustworthy unless he fears Allah.
* Be humble when in the graveyard.
* Submit to Allah’s obedience.
* Seek Allah’s protection at the time of disobeying his commands.
* Always consult with those who fear Allah. They are bound to be of great benefit to you as opposed to those who do not fear him.