10 Rules For Peace of Mind
1) Do Not Interfere In Others’ Business Unless Asked: We create our own problems by interfering too often in others’ affairs. We do so because somehow we have convinced ourselves that our way is the best way, our logic is the perfect logic and those who do not conform to our thinking must be criticized and steered to the right direction, our direction. This thinking denies the existence of individuality and consequently the existence of Allah who has created each one of us in a unique way. No two human beings can think or act in exactly the same way. Mind your own business and you will keep your peace.
2) Forgive And Forget: This is the most powerful aid to peace of mind. We often develop ill feelings inside our heart for the person who insults us or harms us. We nurture grievances. This in turn results in loss of sleep, development of stomach ulcers, and high blood pressure. This insult or injury was done once, but nourishing of grievance goes on forever by constantly remembering it. Get over this bad habit. Believe in the justice of Allah. Let Him judge the act of the one who insulted you. Life is too short to waste in such trifles. Forgive, Forget, and march on. Love flourishes in giving and forgiving. (And I most surely leave my affairs to Allah, to take off)
3) Do Not Crave For Recognition: This world is full of selfish people. They seldom praise anybody without selfish motives. They may praise you today because you are in power or useful to them, but no sooner than you are powerless, they will forget your achievement and will start finding faults in you. Why do you wish to kill yourself in striving for their recognition? Their recognition is not worth the aggravation. Do your duties ethically and sincerely and leave the rest to Allah.
4) Do Not Be Jealous: Jealousy does disturb the peace of mind. We should remember everybody’s life is shaped by Allah, which has now become his/her destiny. If you are destined to be rich, nothing in the world can stop you. If you are not so destined, no one can help you either. Nothing will be gained by blaming others for your misfortune. Jealousy will not get you anywhere; it will only take away your peace of mind.
5) Change Yourself According To the Environment: If you try to change the environment single-handedly, the chances are you will fail. Instead, change yourself to suit your environment. As you do this, even the environment, which has been unfriendly to you, will mysteriously change and seem congenial and harmonious.
6) Endure What Cannot Be Cured: This is the best way to turn a disadvantage into an advantage. Every day we face numerous inconveniences, ailments, irritations, and accidents that are beyond our control. If we cannot control them or change them, we must learn to put up with these things. We must learn to endure them cheerfully thinking, “Allah wills it so, so be it.” Allah’s plan is beyond our comprehension. Believe in it and you will gain in terms of patience, inner strength and will power.
7) Do Not Bite Off More Than You Can Chew: This maxim needs to be remembered constantly. We often tend to take more responsibilities than we are capable of carrying out. This is done to satisfy our ego. Know your limitations. Why take on additional loads that may create more worries? You cannot gain peace of mind by expanding your external activities. Reduce your material engagements and spend time in prayers, introspection and meditation. This will reduce those thoughts in your mind that make you restless. Neat mind will produce greater peace of mind.
8) Read Your Salaah/Pray: Read your salaah 5 times a day,or do your prayers and do not hurry, take your time, try to be in the masjid or your place of worship at least 5 mins before time, make proper wudhu, turn your mind of from the outside world before you make your niyaah. Worshiping Allah/God calms the mind and gets rid of disturbing thoughts. This is the highest state of peace of mind. Your mind will tend to become peaceful. Your mind will not be easily disturbed as it was before. You may think that taking time in your salaah or prayers will interfere with your daily work. On the contrary, this will increase your efficiency and you will be able to produce better results in less time.
9) Never Leave the Mind Vacant: An empty mind is the devil’s workshop. All evil actions start in the vacant mind. Keep your mind occupied in something positive, something worthwhile. Actively follow a hobby. Do something that holds your interest. You must decide what you value more: money or peace of mind. Your hobby, like social and charitable work, may not always earn you more money, but you will have a sense of fulfillment and achievement. Even when you are resting physically, occupy yourself in healthy reading or mental chanting of Allah’s name.
10) Do Not Procrastinate and Never Regret: Do not waste time in protracted wondering ” Should I or shouldn’t I?” Days, weeks, months, and years may be wasted in that futile mental debating. You can never plan enough because you can never anticipate all future happenings. Always remember, Allah has His own plan, too for you. Value you time and do the things that need to be done. It does not matter if you fail the first time. You can learn from your mistakes and succeed the next time.