How Do You Know Allah Exists?
- Once, a Bedouin was asked what made an unsophisticated man like him believe in Allah. Bedouin: “Do you see these marks in the sand?” Man: “Yes.” Bedouin: “What do they tell you?” Man: “A camel went by.” Bedouin: “Did you see the camel?” Man: “No, but these footprints in the sand suggest that a camel made them.” Bedouin: “Do you see these mountains?” Man: “Yes.” Bedouin: “They are indicative to me that Allah made them.”
- Khalifah Haroon Rashid asked Imam Malik: “What is the evidence (daleel) pointing to the existence of Allah?” Imam Malik replied: “Difference in languages, difference in pitches of voice, difference in singing are proof that Allah exists!”
- The same question was asked, by an atheist, of Imam Abu Hanifa and he replied: “Forget it! At the moment, I am busy thinking about this ship. People tell me there is a big ship; it contains different goods on board. There is no one to steer it, no one maintaining it. Yet, this ship keeps going back and forth; it even traverses big waves on the oceans; it stops at the locations that it is supposed to stop at; it continues in the direction that it is supposed to head. This ship has no captain and no one planning its trips.” The atheist who posed the question interrupted and exclaimed: “What kind of strange and silly thought is this? How can any intelligent person think that some thing like this can occur?” Imam Abu Hanifa said: “I feel sorry about your state! You cannot imagine one ship running without some one looking after its affairs. Yet you think that for this whole world, which runs exactly and precisely, there is no one who looks after it, and no one owns it.” Hearing the reply, the atheist was left speechless but he found out more about Haq (The Truth) and proclaimed Islam.
- Imam Shaa ‘fi replied to the question in the following way: “The leaves of Toot (berries) are all but one. Each leaf tastes exactly the same. Insects, honey bees, cows, goats, and deer live off of it. After eating this the silkworms produce silk; bees produce honey; deer give musk (a special kind of scent), cows and goats deliver off-springs. Is this not clear evidence that one kind of leaf has so many qualities, and who created these qualities? It is the Khaliq (Creator) who we call Allah Who is the Inventor and the Creator.”
- Imam Ahmad ibn Hambal reflected on the question in the following way. He said: “There is an incredibly strong fort, it has no doors, and there is no way to get in. In fact, there is not even a hole in it. From outside it glows like the moon and from inside it shimmers like gold. It is sealed from all sides, matter of fact it is air tight. Suddenly one of its doors breaks down, a living thing with eyes and ears, a beautiful looking animal appears yelling and wandering all over. So is not there a creator who made it possible for life to take place in this secured and closed fort? And is not this Creator better than humans? This Creator has no limit.” Imam Ahmad ibn Hambal was referring to an egg which is closed from all sides but Allah The Khaliq (Creator) puts life in it and a chick pops out.
- Ali (RA) said: “Judge yourselves before you are judged on the Day of Resurrection. Make an assessment of yourself before you are called upon to account for your conduct in this existence.”