Taqwa is the central concept running through the Quran. It is translated normally as piety, heading or Allah fearing. In fact, Taqwa combines piety, heading, Allah fearing and Allah consciousness.
1) Allah Fearing in Context of ISLAM:
Here fear should not be understands as scare, which can be without any love or respect. But in Islamic context fear means:
- Fear of the punishment of ALLAH on the Day of Judgment.
- Fear of the losing the blessings of ALLAH in our worldly life.
- To be afraid of displeasing ALLAH –the one who is most worthy of Love.
2) Allah consciousness as the element of Taqwa:
- The person who has Taqwa is one who is most conscious about the things that displease the Allah.
- Allah consciousness is the core of the quality Taqwa. Allah consciousness is the quality of being conscious of the presence of Allah at all times. The most Allah conscious person is one who is most pious. Islam therefore encourages Muslims to be pious in every aspect of Life
3) Love of ALLAH in context of Islam:
- Love if ALLAH refers to man’s necessary dependence on ALLAH —the realization that he is not sufficient.
- True love of God is manifested in pure acts of worship.
- Muslim is required to manifest this love by Following Allah’s Path and, if necessary, sacrificing some personal desires, property, time, if require his life for the sake of ALLAH.
According to a hadith of Rasulullah (SAW): “ If a person love Allah and His Messenger more than he loves anything else he will have the sweet taste of faith in his heart. In addition Allah will reciprocate his love.”
قُلْ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ تُحِبُّونَ اللَّهَ فَاتَّبِعُونِي يُحْبِبْكُمُ اللَّهُ وَيَغْفِرْ لَكُمْ ذُنُوبَكُمْ ۗ وَاللَّهُ غَفُورٌ رَحِيمٌ
“Say: “If ye do love Allah, Follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins: For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful..” (Surah Al-Imran 3:31)
4) Specific acts that nourish ALLAH’S love:
- Have Taqwa
- Constantly repent to ALLAH
- Engage in self purification
- Do good
- Place Trust in ALLAH
- Be steadfast
- Act with justice
5) Actions that keep away Man from Allah’s Love:
- Corruption and mischief
- Rejection of faith
وَاعْبُدُوا اللَّهَ وَلَا تُشْرِكُوا بِهِ شَيْئًا ۖ وَبِالْوَالِدَيْنِ إِحْسَانًا وَبِذِي الْقُرْبَىٰ وَالْيَتَامَىٰ وَالْمَسَاكِينِ وَالْجَارِ ذِي الْقُرْبَىٰ وَالْجَارِ الْجُنُبِ وَالصَّاحِبِ بِالْجَنْبِ وَابْنِ السَّبِيلِ وَمَا مَلَكَتْ أَيْمَانُكُمْ ۗ إِنَّ اللَّهَ لَا يُحِبُّ مَنْ كَانَ مُخْتَالًا فَخُورًا
“Serve Allah, and join not any partners with Him; and do good- to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, those in need, neighbours who are near, neighbours who are strangers, the companion by your side, the wayfarer (ye meet), and what your right hands possess: For Allah loveth not the arrogant, the vainglorious.” (Surah Nisaa 4:36)
6) Benefits that derive from having Taqwa:
Taqwa assists a man in his journey in the hereafter through this life to successful conclusion:
- He will be receptive of to Guidance
- He will have proper vision, Knowledge and wisdom.
- His affairs will be easier
- He will receive forgiveness for his sins.
- He will receive mercy from ALLAH.
- He will achieve ultimate victory and bliss in this life and in the Hereafter.
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا إِنْ تَتَّقُوا اللَّهَ يَجْعَلْ لَكُمْ فُرْقَانًا وَيُكَفِّرْ عَنْكُمْ سَيِّئَاتِكُمْ وَيَغْفِرْ لَكُمْ ۗ وَاللَّهُ ذُو الْفَضْلِ الْعَظِيمِ
“O ye who believe! if ye fear Allah, He will grant you a criterion (to judge between right and wrong), remove from you (all) evil (that may afflict) you, and forgive you: for Allah is the Lord of grace unbounded..” (Surah Anfaal 8:29)