The Virtues of Salaah.
1) It was prescribed in the Heavens the night Rasulullah (SAW) ascended to the heavens, while the commands for acts of worship were revealed to Rasulullah (SAW) on earth. This indicates its great importance sacredness and status.
2) It is the only pillar which is repeated five times daily, and it is never waved except for a woman experiencing her menstrual period or post partum bleeding.
3) It is the one of the most virtuous and most beloved of deeds to Allah as Rasulullah (SAW) said,”…Know that the best of your deeds is the prayer and only a true believer maintains the state of Ablution”. (Ahmed)
4) It is the backbone of Islam and brings pleasure to the eyes of the pious, Rasulullah (SAW) said,’ “The Most important of all matters is Islam, its Backbone is prayer and its highest level is Jihaad for the sake of Allah.”(Ahmed)
5) It is a sign of Honesty and frees person from hypocrisy. Rasulullah (SAW) said: “Whosoever prays forty days with the Congregation attending the Initial (Allahu Akbar) of the prayer will be free of two things: Hellfire and hypocrisy”(Ahmed)
6) It is the best issue to be occupied with ,the most profitable business and the most likely amongst all acts of worship to cause a person to become humble and submissive. Rasulullah (SAW) said “prayer is the best thing to be occupied with ,so whoever is able to perform much of it then let him do so”(Ahmed)
7) It is a command from Allah, an advice of Rasulullah (SAW) and a feature which distinguishes the people of Islam And Eeman. Allah says:
حَافِظُوا عَلَى الصَّلَوَاتِ وَالصَّلَاةِ الْوُسْطَىٰ وَقُومُوا لِلَّهِ قَانِتِينَ
“Guard strictly (the Prayers)…And stand Before Allah with obedience” (Al Baqarah 2:238)
8) It elevates the ranks and expiates sins, as Rasulullah (SAW) said, “Tell me If there were a river in front of one’s house in which he would bath five times a day, would any dirt remain on him?” They said: “No dirt will remain on him” He then said “That is the example of the five Daily obligatory prayers for through them Allah erases sins” (Al-Bukhari)
9) It secures one from the hellfire ,protects against Danger and makes a person win paradise. Rasulullah (SAW) said “The one who prays before sunrise (Fajr Prayer) and before sunset (ASR prayer) will not enter the Hellfire” (Muslim).
10) It is a sign for success and victory and an indication of being accepted. Allah says:
الَّذِينَ هُمْ فِي صَلَاتِهِمْ خَاشِعُونَ قَدْ أَفْلَحَ الْمُؤْمِنُونَ
“The believers must (eventually) win through, those who humble themselves in their prayers.”(Al Mu’minoon23:1-2)
أُولَـٰئِكَ هُمُ الْوَارِثُون الَّذِينَ يَرِثُونَ الْفِرْدَوْسَ هُمْ فِيهَا خَالِدُونََ وَالَّذِينَ هُمْ عَلَىٰ صَلَوَاتِهِمْ يُحَافِظُونَ
“….And those who strictly guard their (five compulsory congregational salawat (prayers) (at their fixed stated hours). These are indeed the inheritors. Who shall inherit the Firdous (Paradise).they shall dwell therein forever”. (Al Mu’minoon 23:9-11)
11) It is the first thing for which the slave will be held accountable. Rasulullah (SAW) said, “The first thing for which the slave will be held accountable for on the day of Resurrection is his prayer; if it is good(by performing properly and on time),then the rest of his deeds will be good, and if it is ruined (by neglecting it) then the rest of his deeds will be ruined.(Tabarâni)
12) It is a provision for the way, a comfort for the soul and a light for the heart a purification for the soul and a sign for salvation. Rasulullah (SAW) said, “O Bilaal! Call the Iqama! Bring us comfort by it!” (Ahmad, Abu Dawud).
13) It frustrates Shaytaan and the disbelievers. Rasulullah (SAW), “When the son of Adam recites a verse which recommends him to prostrate and he does, Shaytaan starts crying and says ‘woe to me ,the son of Adam followed what he was commanded and he will get paradise as a reward, while i was commanded to prostrate and refused and will enter hell” ( Muslim)
14) It is a form of expressing appreciation and gratitude, as well as being a treasure full of Magnification of Allah, glorification and praise of Him. When Rasulullah (SAW) was asked about the reason behind his excessive prayers, Rasulullah (SAW) said, “Shouldn’t I be a thankful slave?!”(Al-Bukhari)
15) It protects against following desires, evil sins and cures from sickness, as Allah says:
اتْلُ مَا أُوحِيَ إِلَيْكَ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ وَأَقِمِ الصَّلَاةَ ۖ إِنَّ الصَّلَاةَ تَنْهَىٰ عَنِ الْفَحْشَاءِ وَالْمُنْكَرِ ۗ وَلَذِكْرُ اللَّهِ أَكْبَرُ ۗ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ مَا تَصْنَعُونَ
“Recite what is sent of the Book by inspiration to thee, and establish regular Prayer: for Prayer restrains from shameful and unjust deeds; and remembrance of Allah is the greatest (thing in life) without doubt. And Allah knows the (deeds) that ye do. “(Al-Ankaboot 29:45)
THE RANKS OF PEOPLE IN RELATION TO PRAYER.
Ibn al-Qayyim said: “there are five ranks of people in relation to prayer.
1st is he who transgress against himself by neglecting parts of wudu’, it’s timings it’s limits and pillars. This person will be punished.
2nd is he who maintains it’s timings and conditions, but his mind is occupied during prayer. He will be asked about this.
3rd is he who maintains it’s timings conditions and all it’s rights, but spends his efforts struggling against himself not to become busy thinking of something else. He is in a state of Jihaad and prayer. He will be forgiven.
4th is he whose hearth is fully consumed by the prayer, and his main concern establishing it properly and perfectly. He is in a state of servitude to his Lord and he will be rewarded.
5th is he who does as the fourth, but in addition he sets his heart in the hands if his Lord seeing him through it, watchful of him filled with love and magnification a if he is witnessing his Lord. His mind is concentrated on praying.
The difference between this level and the other is like the distance between the heavens and the earth. This person is consumed with his Lord in his prayer bringing him comfort to his eyes. This person is close to his Lord and his eyes will be comforted in the hereafter as well by being close to him.”