The Cure For The “Loose” Tongue
1) We should know that it is a major sin to backbite or even a general discussion about someone (apart from the Prophets (AS), the Sahabah, Pious People or those whom we can learn GOOD from) . A person may make a single statement, not paying any heed to it, by which he may slip into Hellfire.
2) We should follow what our tongues are saying and not allow ourselves to stoop to vain talk.
3) We should distance ourselves from those long useless gatherings where nothing is done for hours except laughing and chatting. Instead, we should replace our gatherings with the remembrance of Allah and good speech.
4) We must glorify this Deen and make enormous in our hearts the commandments of Allah ta’aala. If Allah says do not make fun of one another, our reply should be nothing more than, “We hear and we obey.”
5) We should warn others of the sin of insulting other people and making fun of them. Let us not allow ourselves to be as a silent Shaytaan listening to others being insulted. Let us speak up and say it clearly that this is not something loved by Allah and His Messenger. Proclaim that if Allah and His Messenger hate it, then so do you.
6) If you feel that you just have to insult someone, ask Allah to protect you from the Shaytaan and this satanic act. Allah says:
وَإِمَّا يَنْزَغَنَّكَ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ نَزْغٌ فَاسْتَعِذْ بِاللَّهِ ۚ إِنَّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ
“And if an evil suggestion comes to you from Shaytaan, then seek refuge in Allah. Indeed, He is Hearing and Knowing” (Al-Araaf 7:200)
7) And of course, if anyone of us should fall into this sin, we should be swift in turning back to Allah in Taubah. Say astaghfir Allah wa ‘atoobo ilayh, O Allah, I ask You to forgive me and I return to You. Allah says:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا لَا يَسْخَرْ قَوْمٌ مِنْ قَوْمٍ عَسَىٰ أَنْ يَكُونُوا خَيْرًا مِنْهُمْ وَلَا نِسَاءٌ مِنْ نِسَاءٍ عَسَىٰ أَنْ يَكُنَّ خَيْرًا مِنْهُنَّ ۖ وَلَا تَلْمِزُوا أَنْفُسَكُمْ وَلَا تَنَابَزُوا بِالْأَلْقَابِ ۖ بِئْسَ الِاسْمُ الْفُسُوقُ بَعْدَ الْإِيمَانِ ۚ وَمَنْ لَمْ يَتُبْ فَأُولَـٰئِكَ هُمُ الظَّالِمُونَ
“O ye who believe! Let not some men among you laugh at others: It may be that the (latter) are better than the (former): Nor let some women laugh at others: It may be that the (latter are better than the (former): Nor defame nor be sarcastic to each other, nor call each other by (offensive) nicknames: Ill-seeming is a name connoting wickedness, (to be used of one) after he has believed: And those who do not desist are (indeed) doing wrong.” (Al-Hujurat 49:11).
“May Allah Guard Our Tongue Against That Speech Which Is Evil And Let Us Use It For The Speech That Is Good And Pleasing To Allah And His Creation.Aameen.”