Islamic Terms and The Meanings
1) ALLAH: The Name of the Creator of the universe.
2) AL-HAMDU LILLAH: Praise be to Allah.
3) AYAH: Verse of the Holy Quran (also means a ‘sign’ of Allah)
4) BIDAH: Any innovated practices introduced in the religion of Islam.
5) BISMILLAH: ‘In the Name of Allah”, this statement is usually made by Muslims who are about to indulge in a lawful task.
6) DAJJAL: Anti-Christ
7) DAWAH: Propagation of Islam through word and action, calling the people to follow the commandments of Allah.
8) DEEN: Usually translated as ‘religion’. Deen is a comprehensive word which means a total way of life, following the commandments of Allah.
9) DUA: Supplication: invoking Allah for whatever one desires.
10) EID AL-FITR: three day festival marking the end of Ramadan – the 9th month (the month of fasting).
11) EID-AL-ADHA: The feast of Sacrifice. This feast commemorates the Prophet Abraham’s obedience to Allah by being prepared to sacrifice his only son Ishmael. A four-day festival that completes the rites of pilgrimage and takes place on the 10th-13th of Dhul Hijjah (the last Islamic month)
12) FATIHA: The opening Chapter of the Quran. Fatihah should be read in every prayer.
13) GHUSL: Full ritual washing of the body with water.(esp. When one is in the state of impurity)
14) HADITH: Sayings and traditions of the Prophet Muhammed (SAW)
15) HAJJ: Pilgrimage to the Holy city of Makkah.
16) HIJAB: Veil worn by Muslim women for reasons of modesty and protection.
17) IMAM: A person who leads the prayer and also for a famous Muslim Scholar.
18) IMAN: Truth, faith and acceptance.
19) ISLAM: literally means ‘submission to the will of Allah’.
20) JAHANAM: Hell
21) JANNAH: Paradise.
22) JIBREEL: Angel Gabriel.
23) JIHAD: means struggling one’s utmost to be a better person in the sight of Allah, and to establish Islamic way of life.
24) JINN: a race of created beings that are made out of smokeless fire.
25) KAABA: Holiest and first shrine constructed for the worship of One Allah. Muslims face towards the direction of the Kaaba, Makkah.
26) KHALIFA: A Muslim ruler of an Islamic State.
27) KHUTBA: Sermon.
28) MALAIKAH: Angels.
29) MASJID: Mosque, places of worship for the Muslims. In one sense the whole earth is a Masjid for the Muslims, The dome of the heavens its roof.
30) MIRAJ: The night journey of the Prophet Muhammed (SAW) from Makkah to Jerusalem and then through the realms of the seven heavens.
31) MUHAMMED: The name of the final Messenger and Prophet of Allah to Humanity.
32) MUSLIM: Literally means ‘submitting to the will’, i.e. to the will of Allah, the Almighty.
33) QIBLA: Direction in which all Muslims face when praying, which is the Kaaba, in Makkah, Saudi Arabia. The direction is north east from New York.
34) QURAN: The last revelation of Allah given to Humanity, through his last Prophet and Messenger, Muhammed (SAW) .
35) RAMADAN: The month of Fasting, the 9th month of the Islamic Calendar.
36) SAHABI: Companion of Prophet Muhammad – peace be upon him.
37) SAJDA: Prostration, as in prayer.
38) SALAAM: peace
39) SALAAT: Prayer
40) SALLALLAHU ALAIHE WA SALLAM: (SAW) means ‘may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him. This phrase is recited whenever the name of the Prophet Muhammed (SAW) is mentioned.
41) SAUM: Fasting
42) SHAHADA: The creed of Islam: ‘I bear witness that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah, and I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.
43) SHAYTAN: Satan.
44) SHARIA: Islamic Law. It encompasses both the Quran and Hadith, the sayings of Prophet Muhammed (SAW)
45) SHIRK: Associating partners with Allah. The grave sin of Shirk is not forgiven if a person dies in that state.
46) SUBHAN ALLAH: means ‘Glory be to Allah’.
47) SURA: Chapter of the Quran. Quran has 114 Surahs or chapters.
48) TAHARA: purification of body, clothing and souls.
49) TAWHEED: The Divine Unity, in its most profound sense. Allah is One in His Essence and His Attributes and His Acts.
50) TAYAMMUM: Dry purification when water is not available or is detrimental to health.
51) UMRA: A pilgrimage to Makkah, but not during the Hajj period
52) WUDU: Purifying with water before performing prayers.
53) ZAKAT: Obligatory Charity
54) FAJR: Early Morning Prayer
55) ZUHR: Noon Prayer (early afternoon prayer)
56) ASR: Late afternoon prayer
57) MAGHRIB: Sunset Prayer
58) ISHA: Night Prayer
59) JUMMA: ‘Friday’, the Muslim’s day of gathering on Friday noon prayers.